What level of education do your software developers usually have?
All our software developers are graduates from or students in terminal years computer science and electrical engineering departments of Romanian universities/colleges.
How would you describe your staff's fluency in English?
To be offered a software development position in the company, a candidate must meet our high standards of English proficiency. The job interview includes a long oral interview held in English, followed by a written task which requires each candidate to prepare a brief resume in English. The English proficiency test is conducted by specialists with an excellent track record as English tutors and copywriters.
Employees with barely acceptable English skills will undergo rigorous training for a period of 6 to 12 months, until they reach the desired level.
How do you group your personnel according to their experience?
Based on experience and efficiency, we have split our personnel into the following four main categories:
- Trainees: employees with good theoretical and programming skills, but without any hands-on experience. The trainee status lasts 3 to 6 months, depending on technology, period during which the employee is only allowed to do QA tasks for customers;
- Experienced juniors: employees who have completed the AROBS training program and are ready to do programming tasks for real-life projects;
- Developers: specialists with comprehensive work experience and skills. We do not regard the number of years as the key factor in promoting a developer from junior to developer, but rather the depth of expertise, the results achieved and the professionalism shown while working on AROBS projects;
- Senior developers: specialists that have both a broad expertise and leadership skills. It is from this group that we select team leaders, project managers and architects. There is no limit as to the minimum number of years a developer has to spend at the mid level before becoming a senior. A star developer can reach this status in 2 years, while the average one might need 7 years.
What are the main requirements and roles for/of your software specialists?
Listed next are brief descriptions of the development roles at AROBS, exemplified for Java developers. The requirements and roles for other technologies are similar.
Junior Java Developer
Typical experience: 6 months to 2 years
Mandatory Requirements :
- bachelor's degree in an IT field.
- English level : B1
- Java Standard Edition
- Databases systems at the basic level
- WEB development (e.g : Servlets , JSP , JSF)
- HTML , Java Script , CSS
Usually, the junior Java developers are involved in most if not all the development activities (new features , development testing , bug fixing) under the supervision of another Java developer at MID or SENOR level.
The benefits of of using junior developers in the project comes from their strong desire to gain experience from both a technical and a functional point of view. This enthusiasm leads to strong commitment and acceptance of tasks that more experienced developers would not find challenging enough.
Middle Java developers
Typical experience: 2 to 7 years
- all the mandatory requirement for the Junior level plus:
- The expectation to get in the shortest time possible the OCJP 6 or 7 JAVA certification
- Good knowledge of advanced frameworks: back-end and/or front end (e.g. : hibernate , spring …etc)
- Good knowledge of database systems (ACID, distributed databases …etc)
The expectations from an middle java developers are increasing with their years of experience according to the following rules:
- Tasks of gradually increasing complexity are allocated to them
- High expectation on the quality assurance side: minimum number of raised bugs
- Involvement in direct technical discussions with the customers
- Involvement in monitoring juniors developers from the team
- Getting involved in at least 2 projects (sequential) with different technologies and /or business models. With such allocations people gain experience on different technologies, frameworks, and methodologies.
Senior Java developers
Typical experience: 8 years or more
- All the ones for the previous level plus:
- Involvement in at least 4 major projects based on different technologies / business models
- Advanced knowledge on frameworks: back-end and/or front end (e.g. : hibernate, spring …etc)
- Advanced level of knowledge on database systems ( ACID, distributed databases , non sql databases…etc)
- Advanced Caching frameworks
- The most critical tasks on the projects, with full responsibility for the technical decisions
- Involvement in the internal training stages organized at AROBS
- Involvement in monitoring the junior or middle developers from the team
- Involvement in the direct technical discussions with the customers
Experience: 11 years or more
- All the ones for the above level plus:
- Having held a senior developer position for at least 3 years
- Being accepted by the “architects club” at AROBS based on the high level of experience: technical, business sectors
- Advanced experience on :
Distributed computing architectures: client-server, 3-tier architecture, n-tier architecture, distributed objects, loose coupling, or tight coupling.
SOA , SAAS ,Cloud Computing,
Asynchronous communications systems
- Creating /adapting / validating project architectures
- The most critical tasks of the projects, with full responsibility for the technical decisions made
- Involvement in the internal training stages organized by AROBS
- Involvement in the direct discussions with the customers on a technical level
Experience: 8 years or more
- To hold a senior developer position.
- The key skills we are expecting from a PM are: organization, analytical skills, numeric skills , commercial awareness, communication, team working, diplomacy, ability to motivate people, management skills.
- Practical experience on different management approaches: Agile (scrum) or waterfall
- Good to have experience on the technology used on the projects
- agreeing on project objectives
- risk assessment
- organizing the various professional people working on a project
- representing the client's interest
- providing independent advice on the management of the projects
- making sure that all the goals of the project are met
- making sure the quality standards are met
- using the latest IT to keep track of people and progress
- recruiting specialists and sub-contractors
- monitoring sub-contractors to ensure guidelines are maintained
- accounting, costing and billing.
What are the main roles and requirements for your software testers?
Experience: less than 1 years
- Bachelor's degree in an IT field
- English level: B1
- Limited experience with testing methodologies & processes
Manual testing (new features , bugs verification), under the supervision of a Mid/Senior Tester.
Junior testers mainly follow instructions and report the results to the direct supervisor in the early stages of the project and directly to the bugs tracking systems later on. The advantage of using juniors developers in the project comes from their desire to gain experience from a technical and functional point of view.
Mid Manual/Automation Tester
Experience: between 1 and 3 years
Mandatory Requirements :
- Bachelor's degree in an IT field.
- English level: B1
- Ability to analyze the product specifications and discuss them with the PM and development team
- Ability to create test cases into the test plan and create associate bugs and
- Manual/automation testing activities (new features analysis, test plan contribution, writing test cases, bugs opening, bugs verification, progress reports contribution), under the supervision of a Senior Tester or Team Leader.
- Creating and maintaining basic automation regression tests for test automation
The mid tester mainly follows product validation instructions and contribute to product validation.
Senior Manual/Automation Tester
Experience: more than 3 years
- Bachelor's degree in IT field.
- English level: B1
- Proven experience in analyzing the product specification and discuss them with the PM and development team
- Proven experience in shaping the testing strategy and designing the associated test cases
- Proven experience in creating associate bugs and contributing to progress reports
- Proven experience in deciding what makes sense to be automated, and creating complex test automation scripts for automation
- customer product discussions
- acceptance demos
- involvement in and help with any manual/automation testing activity (new features analysis, test plan contribution, write test cases, bugs opening, bugs verification, progress reports contribution) under the supervision of a Team Leader
- following product validation requirements and contributing to product validation strategy
- creating and maintaining automation regression tests of average and high complexity for test automation
What certifications do your employees have?
A comprehensive answer to this question is provided here.
What retention initiatives have you implemented at AROBS?
The retention initiatives in place at AROBS include:
- career planning and management;
- talent management;
- objective based management of individual performance;
- quality supervision for all employees;
- a flexible schedule;
- opportunities for people to share their knowledge via training sessions, presentations, and the mentoring program;
- performance feedback and appraisal, employee recognition;
- teambuilding events, traditional company events (the Summer and Christmas parties, annual company meeting, paintball, bowling);
- open and clear communication of goals, roles and responsibilities (induction plan, periodic evaluation);
- transparency (we never do window-dressing, as we consider it fair for each employee to know the real situation we are facing at any given time).