Software testing – a gateway to product quality
Software testing to software services is like a Yin to a Yang. You can’t have one without the other. From Automotive to Travel Software or IoT, you need to have testing teams, in order to deliver the best products to your clients.
For a lot of people, a definition of the actual term is not a priority. Well, if we want to start talking, or in this case, writing about testing here is one – software testing is the process of analyzing software to detect the differences between existing and required conditions (bugs) and the evaluation of the features of the software. Sounds fastidious? It kind of is, but let me tell you more.
If you are curious to find out more precious information about testing, read below.
Types of testing
We can divide software testing into two major groups:
The first type of testing involves testing the software manually, in order to find its defects. The people who do this are called QA or in common language, testers. They execute test cases and generate the bug reports manually. Developing the test cases implies preparing the test scenarios in advance. So basically, what testers do is follow a set of executable steps to verify whether the features of an application are working as intended or not.
In the end, the testers must have the perspective of an end user and they must make sure that all the features are working as requested by the client.
The second type of testing is automation. This test method implies a process of testing the software using test scripts that are written in advance and generate the bug reports automatically. A machine performs the test. Therefore, in this stage, the most important aspect is related to how well the test cases are written, their quality. Testers use different kind of tools to perform automated tests, the most famous being Selenium, Protractor, Appium or Robotium.
Methods used in testing
The two methods used by a tester in his/her work are:
Static testing or Verification in Software Testing and involves checking documents and files to ensure that the product is built correctly and it meets the requirements. In fact, the main objective of this testing is finding errors in the early stages of the development in order to improve the quality of the product.
The undertaken activities in this method are:
- Informal review – under this technique, the tester reviews the document and gives informal comments on it
- Technical review – this technique checks if the product is suitable for the project
- Walkthrough – the presentation of the product to the team, by the product owner
- Inspection – involves a formal type of review, in which the reviewers record the bugs and inform the participant to rectify the errors.
- Static code review – review of the software source code without executing the code
Dynamic testing also known as Validation in Software Testing implies testing the real product. It is a process in which the testers check the functionality of the product and its overall performance.
- Unit Testing – It involves testing of source code by developers, individual units or modules
- Integration testing – implies the grouping together of the individual modules and testing them, to determine if they are working as expected.
- System testing – is performed on the whole system by checking whether the system or application meets the requirement specification document.
To get to a result, the testers run various types of tests such as integration, functional, end-to-end, acceptance, performance or smoke, each with its own characteristics.
We also run tests in AROBS
Here, at AROBS we have an entire team of testers, divided on many different projects. Among our colleagues you can find junior, mid and senior testers, ready to test any kind of application or product, manually or automatically.
In over 20 years of activity in software services, AROBS managed to gather more than 800 colleagues in 7 offices in Romania and 6 others abroad. All this time we were able to meet the demands of over 7000 clients.
Feeling like running to join our team? AROBS is ready to take you in!